The Sacramento Food Film Festival is back from March 19-29, and it’s ready to nourish Sacramento’s body and mind! The Food Literacy Center has teamed up with Sacramento Farm-To-Fork to bring us a scrumptious array of food and film events ranging from FREE to $70.
Whether you want to see one of the inspiring food films being featured; enjoy a pop-up picnic with live music; take a farm bus tour; and/or see local chefs at work, chances are you’ll be able to do it at the Sac Food Film Fest – all while enjoying a handcrafted cocktail and a delicious bite to eat. Below are 10 amazing things to look forward to at this year’s event (including Sriracha-infused Bloody Marys!).
1. The Films: So maybe you’re a coffee lover, a hardcore Sriracha fan, an advocate for migrant farm workers, or perhaps just looking for something kid-friendly? Whatever the case may be, this year’s festival is likely to entertain you. On March 26th you can watch a documentary about Honduran coffee (and learn how to sip coffee like a pro), on March 27th you can watch the classic Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory, on March 28th you can watch a documentary about Sriracha (and then see how it’s made), and on March 29th you can get an inside look at the grueling lives of Florida’s migrant farm workers in the film, Food Chains. More Films HERE.
2. Gourmet Eats: Guests get to enjoy artisan bites from a handful of prominent local chefs including James Beard Foundation’s award-winning Chef Hank Shaw, Frank Fat’s Executive Chef Mike Lim, Executive Chef Michael Thiemann of Mother and Empress Tavern, and Executive Chef Jay Veregge of Ten22.
3. Swag Bags Filled With Local Goodies: On the festival’s premier night, March 19th, you get to take home a Swag Bag filled with goodies including Ramos Olive Oil, Chocolate Fish Coffee Roasters’ ground coffee, and Preservation & Co.’s award-winning Bloody Mary mix. On March 20th, as a “VIPea,” you’ll get to take home a gift bag provided by the historic Frank Fat’s restaurant after watching Soul of a Banquet. Find out more HERE.
4. Urban Farm Knowledge: On March 21st, there will be free screenings of short films that emphasize the significance of urban farms and the Sacramento Urban Agriculture Ordinance, which will allow urban farms in Sacramento City legally sell food that they grow if it passes in March. RSVP for this event HERE.
5. Coffee Inspired Food & Films: March 26th is coffee night at the Sac Food Film Fest! Chocolate Fish Coffee Roasters & OneSpeed Pizza will be creating coffee-infused beverages & eats for attendees to enjoy. Other coffee treats to look forward to include: special coffee cocktails made with Chocolate Fish coffee beans, Chocolate Fish nitrogen coffee, and desserts prepared by local chefs. More details HERE.
6. Live Music: While enjoying free short films during a pop-up picnic in McClatchy Park, you’ll get to “jam out with the fam out” to live music! Be sure to bring your own picnic or some cash for the on-site food trucks! More info HERE.
7. Magical Bus Tours: VIPea guests will get to take a bus tour of three urban farms in Sacramento, with the final destination being a park film screening and pop-up urban farm stand. Between stops guests will watch short films on the bus and listen to experts speak about urban farming – all while enjoying eats from the chefs of the Grange and Mother. Get your VIPea tickets HERE.
8. Sriracha: March 28 is all about Sriracha! Watch the documentary, Sriracha, about the rise of the spicy-sweet hot sauce, and then enjoy a light brunch and a Sriracha-infused cocktail afterwards! VIPea: See first-hand how Sriracha is made! More info HERE.
9. Celebrating Women: Celebrate Women’s History Month and women’s roles in the food movement at the FREE screening of Terra Firma. Find out more HERE.
10. Willy Wonka’s Golden Ticket: Watch the classic Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory at the Clunie Community Center over a spaghetti dinner and a blueberry pie dessert (inspired by Violet Beauregarde)! Five lucky children will receive a Golden Ticket in which they’ll win a Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory DVD and a kids’ cookbook! More Info HERE.
Find out more information about the Sacramento Food Film Festival & tickets HERE.
– Janice Daniels KYMX/Sacramento