The Chicago Cubs beat the Los Angeles Dodgers Saturday sending them to the World Series for the first time since 1945. They’ll face the Cleveland Indians in game 1 Tuesday, who haven’t won a title since 1948. It’s actually a great story considering both teams have been relentlessly mocked for decades! If the Cubs win, it will be their first championship in more than a CENTURY. The last time they won a World Series title was in 1908. 108 years ago. That’s a long time! To put that into perspective, when the Cubs last won a title…
1. There were only 46 states. Arizona and New Mexico joined the U.S. in 1912, Alaska and Hawaii were added in 1959. Since the last Cubs win, 18 different presidents have been elected, and 11 amendments have been added to the Constitution.
2. The Eiffel Tower in Paris was the tallest building in the world. Now, it doesn’t even crack the Top 100.
3. Consumer radio hadn’t been invented! WHAT? And, neither had coffee filters, paper cups, crossword puzzles, bras, hairdryers, kiss-proof lipstick, hearing aids, penicillin, sun tan lotion, and ballpoint pens.
4. The team didn’t have plastic helmets, because plastic was still being invented.
5. The NFL didn’t exist, and neither did the NBA or the NHL.
6. And finally, a World Series win will easily be the best thing since sliced bread for Cubs fans, because the last time the Cubs won, sliced bread didn’t EXIST. It was still 20 years out the last time the Cubs were champs.
WOW! Go Cubs!