Talk about worst school field trips ever!
According to The Virginian Pilot, a restaurant in Colonial Williamsburg is now facing a lawsuit after they kicked a young child out.
The 11-year-old boy has a severe gluten allergy, and he suffers major drops in blood pressure that render him unconscious if he eats it.
When his class went to the colonial history-themed restaurant, Shields Tavern, for lunch, the boy’s father brought him a safe meal from home so he could eat and learn with the rest of the classmates.
However, the restaurant refused to let the boy eat his own food because it was against their policy. Though the boy’s father and a teacher tried to explain the situation, the now sobbing child was eventually kicked outside, despite the fact that it was raining. Even worse, it later came out that Shields Tavern allows customers to bring in and eat outside food, but only for toddlers.
The attorney representing the boy and his family released a statement, saying:
“Children with disabilities that require strict adherence to special diets often find themselves on the outside of school parties and social events, but here this child was quite literally removed to the outside in a way that left him feeling humiliated and unworthy… This is despicable behavior by any adult but especially by an organization that professes to offer educational programming for children.”
To learn more about this story, you can head right here.